Home School Information

Home School Information and Packet

Families interested in Home-based instruction (Home-schooling) should complete the Declaration of Intent 

RCW 28A.200.010
Home-based instruction -- Duties of parents

The Intent to Home School statement must be filed annually and by September 15th or within two weeks of the beginning of any public school quarter, trimester, or semester with the superintendent of the public school district within which the parent resides.

Click here for the Declaration of Intent form

Other information regarding Clover Park School District services for home-based students:

Use of School District Materials for Home-Based Instruction

Once parents declare responsibility for meeting Washington State statutes for educating their child(ren) through a home-based instruction program, they are solely responsible for supplying all textbooks, resources, consumable and non-consumable materials. In addition, the parent is solely responsible for teacher manuals, lesson plans and documentation/proof of the student's work and documentation/proof of the student's progress.

On occasion, a textbook may be loaned by a school if extras are available. Requests and arrangements for textbooks need to be made with the principal of the public school in your attendance area.

Part-time Enrollment in School

Students may be registered for one or more classes as a part-time student in order to access instruction that you may not be trained in or comfortable in providing, such as: band, chemistry, algebra, reading instruction, physical education, marketing/sales. Please contact the principal of the school in your attendance area for further information. Your student may be able to use the facilities of the public school in your attendance area as space allows.

Special Education Services

If your child is currently receiving special education services, access to those services while the student is being instructed at home can continue. If special education services do continue, they are usually provided at the student's neighborhood school. Please indicate on the Declaration of Intent Form if you want your child to continue services. 

Re-enrollment of the Student in Elementary, Middle School or High School

Should you wish to re-enroll your student in school, the placement of your student or the granting of credit is solely up to the discretion of the accepting institution and cannot be guaranteed. You will need to provide evidence of the student's work and progress for a grade level or credit to be determined during an appointment with the principal and/or counselor.

Please be reminded that a student who has received only home-based instruction throughout his/her high school years is not granted a diploma through the public high school.

Each institution of higher education sets its entrance requirements for applicants who have received home-based instruction.

State Assessment Testing

State law requires that the academic progress of children who have received home-based instruction be measured each year. Washington State has implemented new state tests for public school students. If you are interested in participating in the tests outlined below, contact the principal of the school in your attendance area in the month of January to ensure that adequate materials will be available. If you decide to have your child participate in the assessments listed below, he or she will be required to take them at the school building along with other students at that grade level. You may also arrange to provide for your own testing. The Washington Home School Organization (WHO) has a list of test providers here: www.washhomeschool.org

Highly Capable Program – Cognitive Abilities Test (CogAT)

The Highly Capable Annual Testing is held in February of each year. Parents should call the Teaching & Learning Department at (253) 583-5150 for specific dates, and to arrange to have their children tested. More information can be found here: https://www.cloverpark.k12.wa.us/departments/teaching_and_learning/highly_capable

Other Information You May Find Helpful

District graduation policies and requirements can be found on our website at: https://www.cloverpark.k12.wa.us/departments/teaching_and_learning/graduation_requirements

You may wish to contact a statewide organization for more information regarding home-based instruction. The requirements for home-based instruction are available in a booklet from the Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction titled "Washington State's Laws Regulating Home-Based Instruction".

Or you may request the booklet be sent to you from:

Office of Private Education and Home-Based Instruction
Old Capitol Building
PO Box 47200
Olympia, WA 98504-7200
Telephone: 360-725-6433
FAX: 360-664-3575 Email: [email protected]
Web: Home-Based Instruction Information

Additional resources that you may find helpful:

Washington Home School Organization (WHO) – (425) 251-0439 ......... www.washhomeschool.org
Family Learning Organization (FLO) – (800) 405-8378................................www.familylearning.org

Please call Student Services at 253-583-5154 if you have any questions or concerns.

Click here for Home School Internet Resources

Click here for Online Public Schools Information