March 12, 2018
Dear Clover Park School District Parents:
We are aware that in the coming days, students across the country will be walking out of class, honoring the victims of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla., with moments of silence and/or marching to raise awareness about gun violence in schools.
We understand that on Wednesday, March 14, some district students may conduct a walkout at 10 a.m. for 17 minutes, one minute for every victim of the Parkland shooting.
Understanding that there are a number of students who will be exercising their First Amendment Rights by walking out as mentioned above, or in a variety of other ways, our primary role as educators is to ensure the safety of our students and provide a strong educational experience for all of our scholars every day.
With this in mind, we are seeking your cooperation:
- It is safer for students to remain at school, and we ask that all students remain on campus. We have asked staff members to remain with students on campus to supervise them and keep them safe.
- If a student chooses to leave campus, we can no longer be responsible for their safety nor can we force them to stay on campus.
- Students who leave class will be marked absent.
- Students who choose to leave campus will be truant.
- Parents may excuse absences according to individual school policies.
- Please speak with your student ahead of time to determine how they may or may not participate in this process.
Thank you, as always, for your support and cooperation. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact your child’s school, the district office, or the superintendent.
Debbie LeBeau, Superintendent
Ron Banner, Assistant Superintendent - Elementary Education
Brian Laubach, Assistant Superintendent - Secondary Education