STUDENT GUIDELINES FOR SUCCESS
Due to the age and social/emotional development of students in grades K-5, behavioral intervention and discipline warrant a high degree of professional judgment and situational understanding. Every incident is approached on a case-by-case basis and in accordance with the school’s behavioral program and district policy.
Regardless of grade level, all students in the Clover Park School District are expected to:
- Conform to a reasonable, developmentally appropriate standard of socially acceptable behavior
- Respect the rights, person and property of others
- Preserve the degree of order necessary for a positive learning environment
- Submit to the authority of staff and respond accordingly
- Avoid interfering with a staff member’s work performance or otherwise creating an intimidating, hostile or offensive environment.
Professional judgment and consequences to address behavioral issues should be:
- Consistent from day to day and student to student
- Balanced against the severity of the misconduct
- Appropriate to the student’s nature and prior behavior
- Fair to the student, parent and others
In addition to school-level behavioral intervention, some behaviors constitute sufficient cause for corrective action such as suspension, emergency expulsion, long-term suspension or expulsion.
- A “Suspension” is the exclusion from school for a specific period of time, after which the student has a right to return. The suspension may be imposed for 1 to 10 days.
- An “Emergency Expulsion” is the exclusion from school pending reinstatement by the principal or until a fair hearing is held and a final determination reached.
- A “Long Term Suspension or Expulsion” is the exclusion from school for more than 10 days and involves a hearing if so requested.
Every elementary school implements a school-wide system of expectations for behavior. The purpose of these systems is to establish a safe and productive learning environment for all students and staff. Parents are valuable partners in reinforcing behavioral expectations at school.
||Board Policy 3300
||Board Policy 3240