SCHOOL EMERGENCY INFORMATION
How you can help
BE PREPARED FOR A SCHOOL EMERGENCY
- Ensure your child’s emergency contact information is accurate and current.
- Remove the attached Emergency Procedure Card and carry it with you at all times.
- Become familiar with your school’s emergency communications procedures. The district will provide accurate and timely information in the event of an emergency.
IN CASE OF A SCHOOL EMERGENCY
Although your first reaction may be to call or rush to your child’s school, please follow the tips below.
The Clover Park School District main number is: 253-583-5000.
- Call or rush to your child’s school. Phone lines and staff are needed for emergency response efforts.
- Phone your child. Staff and students are discouraged from using cell phone communication for safety reasons.
- Tune in to local TV/Radio stations for official school news alerts.
- Rely only on official communication from school or public safety officials.
- Listen for official information regarding reunification with your child.
Safety Terms and Procedures
In an emergency at your child’s school, it is important to know these terms.
Lockdown– A lockdown takes place if an internal or external threat is identified at the school. All school doors are locked and students are confined to classrooms. No entry into or exit from the school is allowed until an “all clear” announcement is made
Shelter in Place – Students take refuge in designated areas to protect them from hazardous materials or severe weather. No entry into or exit from the school is allowed until an “all clear” announcement is made.
Evacuation – In certain emergencies, students will be relocated to an evacuation assembly area. Students will be released ONLY to families with picture ID and permission from the district official. This procedure is necessary to account for the location of all students.
Reverse Evacuation – Students are evacuated from the outside of the building to the interior in the event of an outside threat. No entry into or exit from the school is allowed until an “all clear” announcement is made.
How can I be reunited with my child?
Reunification – Families will be informed by school officials via the district’s automated notification system, or by public safety officials via media to their child’s specific location. Students will be released ONLY to parents or guardians or those who are documented as emergency contacts and who present a picture ID (driver’s license, military ID or passport).
Following an Emergency
- Listen to and acknowledge your child’s concerns.
- Provide reassurance that your child is safe.
- Assure your child that additional prevention efforts are being put into place.
- Seek help from school personnel or a mental health professional if concerns persist.
Clover Park School District
Clover Park School District is committed to providing a safe environment for students, staff and visitors.
The district’s safety committee and our schools have worked together to strengthen and coordinate our emergency response plans. We work closely with national, state and local safety officials such as fire, police, Pierce County Emergency Management and public health officials to ensure our schools are well-prepared in the event of an emergency.
Each school conducts drills throughout the school year to help students and staff prepare for possible emergencies.
This guide offers steps you can take should an emergency occur at your student’s school.