District-wide Secondary School Dress Code
The purpose of the secondary school dress code is to foster a professional, safe and respectful learning environment at school. The dress code shall apply at all times to include field trips, site visits, academic internships and other school-related activities before, during or after school unless the supervising adult informs students otherwise.
The guidelines for student attire are:
- No hats or non-religious head covering are to be worn inside the school except at indoor sporting events. This includes, but is not limited to, hats, visors, rags, bandannas, hairnets, and hoods. Hats or hoods may be worn outside during inclement weather
- Revealing or suggestive attire is not permitted. Clothing that inappropriately reveals body areas including the shoulder, back, chest, waist, upper thighs or undergarments are prohibited. This includes but is not limited to:
- Spaghetti straps, halter tops, plunging necklines (front or back), midriff shirts, skirts/shorts above the mid-thigh (no more than four inches above the knee).
- No low riding, sagging or low-slung jeans, even with long shirts covering the hips or clothing beneath the outer pant are permitted.
- Sleepwear, pajamas, slippers and blankets are not appropriate school attire and may not be worn.
- Clothing with holes, cuts or tears more than four inches above the knee may not be worn even if there is material behind the hole.
- No undergarments including bra straps, boxers, or other underwear may show.
- Students are not allowed to write on their clothing or skin.
- Shoes must be worn at all times. Shoes with wheels are not allowed,
- Any clothing deemed lewd or suggestive by school staff and administration will not be allowed.
- Apparel or accessories with pictures, symbols or words that depict alcohol, tobacco, drugs, unlawful activities, bigotry, violence, sexual topics or have messages with inappropriate “double-meanings,” profanity, obscenities or slander are not allowed.
- Gang-related clothing, accessories, or jewelry will not be tolerated. All schools collaborate with the Lakewood police to update changes in gang related apparel as necessary.
- Clothing, footwear, jewelry, or any other attire which may present a safety hazard (i.e., spiked collars, bracelets, hanging belts or chains, etc.) is not allowed.
- Face coverings (i.e., sunglasses, face paintings, masks etc.) are not allowed.
- Cosmetics or hair color that are a distraction or disrupt the learning environment are not allowed.
- Students who refuse to comply with the school dress code will be subject to discipline sanctions.
- In cases of questionable apparel, the administration reserves the right to make final decisions on appropriateness of all apparel.