School Names and Meanings

High Schools

Clover Park High School – opened in 1937 as an expansion of Clover Park Junior High School. Its name is associated with the clover early pioneers saw on the banks of Clover Creek or Ponce de Leon Springs.

Lakes High School – opened in 1962. Its name is associated with the numerous lakes in the region.

Harrison Preparatory School (6-12) – opened in 2008. It is named after Lakewood’s first mayor, retired Lt. Gen. William H. Harrison.

 

Middle Schools

Hudtloff Middle School – opened in 1957. It is named after the district’s first superintendent, Arthur G. Hudtloff who served from 1928 to 1955.

Lochburn Middle School – opened in 1967. Its name is a Scottish derivative for Lakewood or “lake water.” 

Iva Alice Mann Middle School – opened in 1959. It is named after the community member who created the Clover Park School District. She helped to unify five separate school districts into the Union High School District in 1928, advocated the state for legislative changes to allow for construction of a new junior high school in the district. Clover Park School District came into existence in 1941. Mann served as clerk-secretary for the school board until her retirement in 1948.

Woodbrook Middle School – opened in 1963. It is named after the geographical area/neighborhood community in which it was built. The region is named after the Woodbrook Hunt 10Club, which officially formed in 1926. Members would hunt on horseback in the area. The Hunt Club continues on today, celebrating more than 90 years as a Lakewood area institution.

 

Elementary Schools

Beachwood – opened in 1961. Located on JBLM, it is named after the geographic area/neighborhood.  

Carter Lake – opened in 1961. Located on JBLM, it is named after the geographic area of Carter Lake.

Custer – opened in 1933 (established in 1891). The school is named after the school district it was a part of prior to the creation of Clover Park School District.

Dower – opened in 1962. It is named after the street on which it is located. The street is named after John Dower who was a wealthy businessman from the area many years ago.  

Evergreen – opened in 1991. Located on JBLM, it is named after the geographic characteristics of the local area.

Four Heroes – opened in 2015. Its name commemorates the four Lakewood Police Officers who were tragically killed in 2009. The new location is very close to the Lakewood Police Department headquarters.  “Four Heroes” would honor the four fallen Lakewood Police officers: Sergeant Mark Renninger and Officers Tina Griswold, Gregory Richards and Ronald Owens.

Hillside – opened in 1959. Located on JBLM, it is named after the geographic area or neighborhood.

Idlewild – opened in 1956. It is named after the street on which it is located. We are not aware of any regional or local significance.

Lake Louise – opened in 1960. It is named after nearby Lake Louise.

Lakeview Hope Academy – opened in 1944 (established in 1890). It is named after the school district it was a part of prior to the creation of Clover Park School District. Lakeview is also a geographic name and was the name of a former Northern Pacific railroad junction and station.

Meriwether – opened in 2014. Located on JBLM, it is named after the geographic area or neighborhood. Meriwether Landing is divided into four neighborhoods, each corresponding to the Army's history and rank structure. The landing's name is a tip of the hat to Meriwether Lewis, the leader of the Lewis and Clark Expedition from 1804 to 1806.

Oakbrook – opened in 1970. It is named after the geographic area or neighborhood.

Park Lodge – opened in 1997 (established in 1912). It is named after the school district it was a part of prior to the creation of Clover Park School District.

Rainier – opened in 2014. Located on JBLM, it is named after Mt. Rainier, which is a visible landmark easily seen across JBLM.

Tillicum – opened in 1944. It was established as an addition to the now defunct American Lake South Elementary School. Tillicum is a word in Chinook jargon which means people, family, tribe and relatives.

Tyee Park – opened in 1958. It is named after a geographic area and neighborhood.