Smarter Balanced testing on-going in CPSD
We are committed to Creating Promising Futures in Clover Park School District. This mission includes ensuring every student is “Career and College Ready” upon graduation. To be career and college ready in an ever-changing world, our teachers and staff track each student’s academic progress from kindergarten through high school graduation.
We diagnose, instruct and monitor students using classroom, district, state and career-readiness assessments based on the Washington State K-12 Learning Standards. Student performance on these assessments guides instruction and prepares students for life after high school.
This spring students in grades three through eight and high school will demonstrate their knowledge and mastery of state standards on the Smarter Balanced tests. These tests measure student progress in the areas of English language arts and mathematics. In addition, many students will also take the Washington Comprehensive Assessment of Science (WCAS), which measures their progress in Washington state’s science content.
In Washington state as well as around the nation, colleges and universities have acknowledged the Smarter Balanced test as a good indicator of college readiness. Students earning scores of three or four on these assessments in high school can often go straight into credit-bearing college coursework and/or post-secondary job training without the need for remedial coursework, saving both time and money.
For more information on Smarter Balanced and career and college readiness, check out these excellent resources:
- READY WA – Washington students deserve high-quality standards and tests to prepare them for college, work and life. http://www.readywa.org
- Smarter Balanced Assessments – More than just a test! http://www.smarterbalanced.org
- Smarter Balanced – Higher-Ed Approved. http://www.smarterbalanced.org/about/higher-education/
Three Reasons students should take Smarter Balanced assessments:
- Evaluate college or career readiness – Scoring a Level 3 or 4 on the high school Smarter Balanced assessment demonstrates that a student is on track to be ready for college or a career, and can qualify for credit-bearing courses in college.
- Identify areas to improve or move to a more advanced level – The Smarter Balanced assessment measures how students are doing on their way to college or a career. It also lets teachers and families know how to support students to reach their goals.
- Measure up against everyone else – Smarter Balanced provides educators, schools and families better information on how students and schools stack up against others in the state, nation and world, how students are improving and where they might need extra help.