Skip to main content

For official copies of board policies and procedures please contact the superintendent's office at (253) 583-5190 or email

Food and Beverages for Meetings

The district may provide food and nonalcoholic beverages when consumed in the course of conducting district business that is determined by the superintendent or Council member to be directly beneficial to the district.

Ceremonies, Dedications, and Open Houses

Reasonable expenses associated with ceremonies and/or dedications are permitted provided that the events have been authorized by the board and serve a public purpose.

Meetings, Study Sessions, Training Sessions

Food and nonalcoholic beverages may be served at district expense when a meeting, study session, training session, or hearing continues through normal mealtime hours and will facilitate the continuance of the session with minimum disruption.  Expenses for food and beverage must be reasonable and serve a public purpose.  Participants shall be restricted to officers, staff members, volunteers or “quasi-employees”—non-compensated volunteers, or advisory committee members who might otherwise be entitled to actual monetary payment.  Snacks and nonalcoholic beverages of a nominal nature may be provided at meetings and study or training sessions when such occur during non-mealtime hours.  All expenditures must be properly documented consistent with board policy.

Individual Conferences

Reasonable expenses for food and nonalcoholic beverages are permitted when staff members are engaged in conferences or meetings with individuals or small groups who have an interest in the operation of the district.

District Food Services

To minimize cost staff responsible for scheduling meetings are encouraged to contact Food Services Catering regarding provisions for food and beverages at meetings.

Ordering Procedures

The Food and Beverage Authorization Request form must be submitted for approval prior to incurring the expenditure.

When purchasing refreshments and meals from vendors other than Food Services, follow the procedures for purchasing, purchasing card, or revolving account. Actual receipts for meals provided by outside vendors must be itemized.

Food and Beverage Authorization Request

Prior to incurring the expenditure, complete and sign the form and submit it to the school or department administrator for approval.  The school or department administrator submits the form to the appropriate Council member for approval.  The Council member will return the approved form to the requester.

After receiving approval, the requester will:

  1. Attach the form to one of the following:
    • Catering Request Form—if items are purchased from Food Services.  Use Object Code 811400.
    • Small Expense Claim for Revolving Fund Reimbursement—if items are purchased through the site revolving account. Use Object Code 850300.  Purchases from the revolving account are limited to $50 or less.
    • Charge Card Transaction Summary—if items are purchased from an outside vendor.  Use Object Code 850300.


  2. Send the original form to Purchasing.
    • Purchase Order—if items are purchased from an outside vendor.  Note the Purchase Order number on the form. Use Object Code 850300.
Legal References: State Constitution, Article VIII, Section 7
Attorney General Memorandum dated 5/14/87


Former Procedure: 7204-P1

Date:  03.21.88

Revised: 09.01.03;  05.13.13