GENERAL: Job sharing for certified and classified employees is limited to no more than two employees sharing no more than one position. The shared position must be no less than a 1.0 FTE position (certified) or no less than 4 hours (classified). The affected building and/or department administrator must agree that the position may be shared without having a negative impact on students or school operations. In addition, job share opportunities are limited to partnerships that include at least one current employee. Job sharing may require annual approval.
Employees or an employee with a fully qualified candidate for employment (in partnerships that involve a fully qualified candidate, the employee will submit the job share request) must submit the following to be considered for a job share assignment:
- A written request to Human Resources (signed by both partners in the job share) to be considered for the position.
- A copy of the request should be provided to the appropriate building or department administrator.
- NOTE: If the partnership involves a reduction of FTE for current employees the affected employees must submit a separate letter that indicates that if selected for the job share the employee voluntarily surrenders the necessary portion of their FTE and all contract rights (for certified employees) to the lost FTE (current or future) as part of the request for job share.
Human Resources will obtain confirmation that the position may be shared and the approved “two-way split schedule” from the appropriate building or department administrator.
The building or department administrator should consider the job share partnership during the normal process of screening, interviewing and selecting certified staff for the position. Prior to any building action, approval from the appropriate Assistant Superintendent and Executive Director from Human Resources is required.
Building or department administrators who establish job share positions or accept job share partnerships for positions assume responsibility for any extra costs associated with the job share. For example, if a job share partner goes on extended leave the school or department must cover the cost of the paid portion of the leave along with the cost of the first five days of a substitute.
CERTIFIED JOB SHARE: In the event a building or department administrator receives approval for a job share partnership for a certified position the following actions will be accomplished:
- Human Resources will submit the names of selected individuals (identified as a job share partnership) to the CPSD Board of Directors for approval.
- On approval by the CPSD Board of Directors, members of certified job share partnerships will be issued appropriate employment contracts (current employees will be issued new contracts to include the new FTE, if appropriate) that include the paragraphs at Enclosure; Section I Certified (below).
CLASSIFIED JOB SHARE: Building or department administrators must indicate in the comments section on the Position Requisition Form if they will consider job sharing for the position. If job sharing is considered, the building or department administrator must include with the Requisition Form a job-sharing plan and calendar.
In the event a building or department administrator selects a job share partnership for a classified position, the following actions will be accomplished:
- Human Resources will contact the selected individuals and notify them that they have been “recommended” for the position as a job share partnership.
- A signed statement (Section II of Enclosure 1) will be obtained from both members of the selected job share partnership as the first step in the hiring process.
- Human Resources will submit the names of selected individuals (identified as a job share partnership) to the CPSD Board of Directors for approval only after the above statements are received from both members of the job share partnership.
SECTION I: CERTIFIED
Insert the following in the individual employment contracts of the job share participants:
Employment is as a member of a “job share partnership” for the current school year. The FTE in this contract constitutes continued employment rights, subject to RCW 28A.405.210 and RCW 28A.405.310. However, the provisions of this contract pertaining to the job share partnership are for the current school year only and do not imply a continuing agreement. If the employee wishes to undertake future job sharing partnerships approval and agreement must be obtained before job share will be permitted.
This partnership is a voluntary endeavor permitted by the district. Should the partnership dissolve or either party be unable to satisfy the full job share agreement, for any reason, prior to the end of the current school year, the employee, by signing below agrees s/he will assume full responsibility for the job share position and serve in both capacities of the partnership. In this regard, employee agrees to accept, as terms of this contract, an amendment that will add (as a replacement contract for the remainder of the school year) the additional FTE for that portion of the vacated job share partnership.
SECTION II: CLASSIFIED AGREEMENT
I agree to enter into a job share partnership for a ___ hour _____________________ position at __________________. I am responsible for _____ FTE ( _____ hours) of the position.
I will accomplish this work in accordance with the schedule developed by my supervisor and according to his/her directions.
This job share partnership is a voluntary endeavor permitted by the district. Should the partnership dissolve, for any reason, prior to the end of the current school year, I agree to the following provisions:
If the hours forfeited by my partner are equal to or greater than two hours the building or department administrator may, at their discretion, leave the position vacant or repost the position as an opening. I can apply for the position, but I understand that I am not automatically entitled to the hours. Furthermore, if asked by the principal or department administrator I agree to temporarily perform the additional hours until a permanent employee is selected and hired.
If the hours forfeited by my partner are less than two hours the hours may, at the discretion of the principal or department administrator, be awarded to the most senior, qualified building employee who can fit the hours into his/her schedule without changing program assignments.
If no employees want the additional hours or do not meet the conditions above, the hours may be assigned as determined by the principal or department administrator.
Former Procedure: 5214-P1