Distribution of Materials
The Community Relations director/designee shall review and determine whether materials are approved for publication as community e-flyers. Any further review shall be by the superintendent/designee, whose decision shall be final.
The Community Relations department will publish the approval process for posting e-flyers on the district web site and will verify that submitting organizations have valid nonprofit status. To be considered for posting, flyers must:
- Promote the academic, vocational or social/civil/cultural growth of students;
- Contain the district’s disclaimer (below) indicating that the school district does not endorse or sponsor the activity or organization promoting the activity;
- Be screened for the appropriateness of its content, and may not contain any proselytizing language;
- Be made available in designated quantities for students who do not have web access; and
- Prominently display scholarship availability, name and contact information.
All materials and activities must be consistent with Clover Park School District policies and federal and state law. The district or the school will not distribute materials that:
- Promote commercial enterprises;
- Promote the use of illicit drugs, alcohol, tobacco or firearms;
- Promote hostility, disorder or violence;
- Are obscene, lewd or vulgar;
- Are libelous;
- Contain language that is intimidating, demeaning, harassing or threatening on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital or veteran status, including, but not limited to, racial, sexual or ethnic slurs;
- Promote or oppose any political candidate or ballot proposition;
- Promote the violation of existing laws, regulation or ordinances, or official school policy, rules or regulations;
- Proselytize or disparage religious beliefs; or
- Inhibit the functioning of any school.
Distribution of Materials to Schools
The district does not allow for-profit organizations to distribute materials or gifts directly to students, staff or families.
Nonprofit organizations wishing to distribute/post information are encouraged to submit requests two weeks prior to an event, registration, etc.
Community organizations and government entities wishing to distribute information should be directed to the Community Relations Office.
Clover Park School District supports an online materials distribution process for nonprofit organizations. Information on how to submit a flyer for approval can be found on the district website, under community relations.
- All non-district sponsored submissions must include the following disclaimer:
Clover Park School District does not sponsor this event/activity/offer and assumes no responsibility for it. In consideration for the privilege to distribute these materials, Clover Park School District shall be held harmless from any cause of action filed in any court or administrative tribunal arising out of the distribution of these materials, including all costs, attorney’s fees and judgments or awards.
- Nonprofit organizations must provide a copy of your nonprofit status (Internal Revenue Status 501 (c) (3)) to the community relations office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Certain schools may require distribution of printed materials in addition to an electronic version. The organization making the request is responsible for the printing and distribution of the copies. A copy of this completed form (with approval) must be presented or sent with materials to each site. An enrollment count for district schools is available upon request.
- Lakewood’s Promise may distribute printed copies of its What’s Up in Lakewood publication to all schools in the district. This is the only organization with permission for this distribution.
- District resources (including email) should never be used by any organization (nonprofit or for-profit) or district employee to distribute flyers or information about an event or cause.
Notification of Approval
Community relations office staff reviews the materials as they are received. Parties who receive approval to distribute materials may provide each school where the material will be posted with 10 copies of the material for display at the school and paper copies for those schools who have requested that distribution.
No district or school resources – including district email – can be used to distribute materials (See Procedure 2022-P1 Electronic Resources).
The Request to Distribute process does not impact PTA, PTSA, ASB or announcements of other school-related or -sponsored activities. Materials distributed for PTA, PTSA, ASB or school-related or -sponsored activities are approved at the principal’s discretion. Materials distributed only at specific schools for sponsored programs (Army Youth Programs in Your Neighborhood (AYPYN), Lakewood Computer Clubhouse, Communities in School of Lakewood After-School Program, etc.) will be approved at the principal’s discretion. No disclaimer is needed for school-related materials.
Higher education program information from any college/university will be made available to secondary school counselors and can be displayed in offices and college and career centers. No disclaimer is necessary for these materials. If flyers or other materials are being distributed directly to students, the college/university must go through the Request to Distribute process.
Revised: 05.19.14; 05.09.16; 03.26.18