Awarding Diplomas to Veterans
Veterans who did not finish high school due to military service may be awarded a diploma from Clover Park High School, Lakes High School or the Harrison Preparatory School. To be eligible for the high school diploma the following steps must be taken:
- The veteran or his/her representative must fill out the application form developed by the Washington Department of Veteran Affairs (WDVA).
- The veteran or his/her representative must provide evidence of eligibility as specified by WDVA. This includes proof of being an honorably discharged member of the armed forces of the United States of America (Any military separation paper stating the veteran received an honorable discharge is acceptable. The most common form is the Form DD214). The veteran or his/her representative must mail or hand deliver the application and discharge information to the principal of Clover Park High School, Lakes High School.
- The high school principal will determine those veterans who have substantial ties to Clover Park School District. Examples of these veterans include, but are not limited to: those living or having lived in the district; those having attended school in the district; those having children or other descendents who have attended school in the district; those having been employed by the district; or volunteering in the district.
- The high school principal will recommend to the superintendent or designee whether or not to award a diploma and will communicate the recommendation in writing to the veteran or his/her representative.
- If the veteran’s request or the request of his/her representative is denied by the high school principal, an appeal can be made to the superintendent or designee for final determination.
Revised: 12.12.11; 05.28.13