Transitional Bilingual Instruction Program
The Clover Park Board of Directors is highly committed to ensuring an equal educational opportunity for every student. While English is the basic language of instruction in the district's schools, the district will provide a transitional bilingual instruction program for children whose primary language is not English, and whose English skills are sufficiently deficient or absent to impair learning. The district’s transitional bilingual instruction program is designed to enable students to achieve competency in English. Annually, the board of directors will approve the district’s transitional bilingual instruction program.
The district and its staff will:
- Communicate, whenever feasible, with parents of English language learners in a language they can understand;
- Assess and determine, by means of a state approved placement test, student eligibility within 10 days of enrollment and attendance;
- Annually assess, by means of the state approved test, improvement in English language proficiency for each eligible English language learner;
- Provide professional development training for administrators, teachers, counselors and other staff on the district’s bilingual instruction program, appropriate use of instructional strategies and assessment results, and curriculum and instructional materials for use with culturally and linguistically diverse students; and
- Provide for continuous improvement and evaluation of the district’s Program to determine its effectiveness.
For purposes of providing such services, the superintendent will establish procedures for implementing the district’s Transitional Bilingual Instruction Program.
|Legal References:||Chapter 28A.180 RCW||Transitional Bilingual Instruction Program|
|WAC 162-28-040||English language limitations and national origin discrimination|
|Chapter 392-160 WAC||Special Service Program --Transitional Bilingual|
Adoption Date: 04.04.05
Former Policy Number: 4602
Clover Park School District