Animals as Part of the Instructional Program
Prior to granting or denying requests to include animals in the school’s instructional program the principal will evaluate the following issues:
- Whether there is an educational benefit to be gained by the inclusion of the animal in the instructional program;
- Whether there is an appropriate plan for the control of the animal, especially for wild or poisonous animals;
- That any health concerns involving students, staff or other animals have been thoroughly addressed, for instance allergies, the vaccination status of the animal, if relevant, or the transmission of disease from the animal;
- The animal’s health, safety and well-being have been appropriately evaluated; and
- Sanitary issues have been addressed, including the treatment of animal wastes and the personal hygiene of students or staff who will come in contact with the animals.